ODA Annual Session has many opportunities for new dentists
The Ohio Dental Association Annual Session is just around the corner, and the event offers many opportunities for new dentists.
Sept. 19-22 in Columbus, Annual Session offers opportunities for CE, an expansive Exhibit Hall, plus fun events where dentists of all ages can meet new colleagues and catch up with old friends.
An event designed especially for new dentists is the New Dentist Reception at Bar Louie on Thursday, Sept. 19 from 8 to 10 p.m. This event, sponsored by the Ohio Dental Political Action Committee (ODPAC) is for all dentists out of school for 10 years or less. New dentists can enjoy a few drinks at Bar Louie, conveniently located within walking distance of the Convention Center in the Arena District. This event is free, but dentists should register using Event Code E92.
“The new dentist event is fun and gives you an opportunity to see old classmates and network with other young dentists,” said Dr. Megan Shiga, a member of the Subcouncil on New Dentists.
But before heading to the New Dentist Reception, all dentists can stop by the Welcome Reception in the Exhibit Hall from 5 to 6:30 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 19. Dentists can enjoy free hors d’oeuvres and cash bars while shopping in the Exhibit Hall. Members of ODPAC can stop by the Membership Booth for a free drink ticket.
While in the Exhibit Hall, dentists can shop for everything from chairs to toothbrushes and X-ray machines.
“See what new materials really stick out to you as cutting edge – and then get a sample and try it in your office,” Shiga said. “Don’t get overwhelmed – stay focused on what you are looking for. Also, think rationally. Don’t buy 20 of something for a discount if half of the product is going to expire before you actually need it.”
New this year, the ODA will also have social media games going on in the Exhibit Hall. Make sure you follow the ODA on Twitter and like the ODA Annual Session Facebook page before the event so you will be ready to join in for a chance to win prizes.
The ODA is excited to once again offer a Saturday Exhibits Only pass on Sept. 21. This free pass will allow dentists and staff members to shop the Exhibit Hall without paying the Annual Session registration fee. Anyone registering in this category cannot receive CE credits or any other benefit of Annual Session. Exhibits Only passes can be picked up at the on-site registration desk between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 21.
The ODA also will be offering a track of CE courses especially for the new dentist. The track includes courses from practice marketing to a reduced cost on a scientific CE course for dentists in practice less than 10 years. Courses aimed at the new dentist include:
• The Rules of Business to Reach Total Practice Success, Part 1 – Leadership; by Amy Morgan. 9 a.m. to noon Thursday, Sept. 19. Course Code T13.
• The Rules of Business to Reach Total Practice Success, Part 2 – Management; by Amy Morgan. 2 to 5 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 19. Course Code T32.
• Restorative Materials Update 2013; by Jeff Brucia, DDS. 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday, Sept. 20. Course Code F39. This course is offered at a reduced price for dentists in practice 10 years or less.
• X-treme Prevention; by Randy Huffines, DDS. 2 to 5 p.m. Friday, Sept. 20. Course Code F62.
• New Marketing Musts: What Really Attracts & Retains Patients Through Online Strategies; by Amy Morgan. 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. Friday, Sept. 20. Course Code F68.
• Back to Basics: Ritz Carlton Style; by the Ritz Carlton Leadership Center. 10 a.m. to noon Saturday, Sept. 21. Course Code S78.
• Contemporary Restoration Trends: Hot Syncing Your Dental Knowledge; by Dan Ward, DDS. 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 22. Course Code Y83.
“Courses that I enjoy most are hands-on,” Shiga said. “But I will attend power point CE if the topic is really interesting and the speaker is engaging.”