The issue of preventing drug diversion and opiate addiction is important to the dental profession and the Ohio Dental Association. The Ohio Dental Association has been proud to partner with policymakers and other interested parties to address this critical issue over the last several years.
The number of prescription opioids dispensed to Ohioans declined for the sixth consecutive year in 2018, according to a State of Ohio Board of Pharmacy’s Ohio Automated Rx Reporting System (OARRS) report.
- A Dentist’s Guide to Recognizing and Understanding Addiction and Engaging in Responsible Prescribing Practices – The ODA has created an online CE course available exclusively to ODA member dentists that meets the Ohio State Dental Board requirement of Continuing Education in opioid prescribing and addiction awareness.
- Take Charge Ohio – Several state agencies and licensing boards developed the Take Charge Ohio initiative. Resources for health care providers include educational materials for patients and tools such as prescribing guidelines, MED calculators, and OARRS.
- Rx Basics for Ohio Dentists – This document created by the ODA provides information on the requirements for dentists when prescribing, possessing or personally furnishing opioids.
- Ohio Automated Rx Reporting System (OARRS) website – OARRS is a tool to track the dispensing and personal furnishing of controlled prescription drugs to patients.
- OARRS FAQ – Information from the Ohio Pharmacy Board about who needs to register, how to register, and when to access OARRS.
- “Start Talking!” consent form – Ohio law requires prescribers to obtain a statutorily defined informed consent form, known as the “Start Talking!” form from a parent, guardian or other authorized adult prior to prescribing a minor a controlled substance that contains an opioid.
- ADA opiate resources – The ADA president is urging dentists to help prevent opioid abuse. The ADA provides resources, tools and CE opportunities for dentists to help in this effort.
ODA Today Articles
- New opioid prescribing CE mandate – 2/14/2020
- ODA keeps dentistry on the forefront of addressing opioid crisis – 6/6/2019
- Ohio Dental Association joins opioid Alliance – 3/20/2019
- Update on Ohio’s controlled substance prescription regulations – 3/13/2018
- New requirements for controlled substance prescriptions go into effect – 12/7/2017
- New limits on opioid prescribing go into effect – 10/10/2017
- Understanding the new opioid prescribing rules – 10/10/2017
- New reforms to fight against prescription drug abuse -7/6/2017
- Dentists will need TDDD license to possess, distribute controlled substances – 2/8/2017
- ‘My journey into addiction started with a visit to the dentist’ – 1/12/2017
- ODA Leadership Institute to feature speakers on opioids – 12/12/2016
- Dental board plans to enforce OARRS requirements – 10/10/2016
- Update on prescription drug regulations, education initiatives in Ohio – 7/12/2016
- Legislative issues heat up as General Assembly goes on summer break – 7/12/2016
- Legislation proposes requiring dentists who possess scheduled drugs to obtain TDDD license – 6/1/2016
- Opioid doses, prescriptions for Ohio patients continue to decrease – 4/15/2016
- Governor’s Cabinet Opiate Action Team releases new prescribing guidelines – 2/2/2016
- New OARRS requirements now in effect – 5/1/2015
- New prescription drug regulations impact dental offices – 11/10/2014
- New law requires prescribers to “Start Talking,” use consent form – 10/7/2014