2016 ODA Annual Session offers opportunities for new dentists
The 2016 ODA Annual Session will feature several opportunities for new dentists, including a new event to help dentists find a job. This year’s ODA Annual Session will be the main event celebrating the ODA’s 150th anniversary and will be Sept. 15-18 at the Greater Columbus Convention Center.
MATCH @ ODA Annual Session is a free event aimed at helping newer dentists and fourth year dental students meet seasoned dentists who are preparing for a practice transition or looking to expand their practice. This free event is hosted by the ODA Subcouncil on New Dentists and will take place from noon to 1 p.m. Sept. 17. No outside companies or vendors will be included in this program, and no final commitments or arrangements are required or guaranteed. Register for this event using code E97. After registering, attendees will be contacted by the ODA to gather more information to enhance the job search process.
The ODA Annual Session will also offer a $50 discount on CE for new dentists. ODA members who have been in practice for 10 years or less will receive a one-time $50 discount on any paid CE course added to their registration.
Annual Session will include several CE courses aimed at new dentists:
- Success: Where Preparation Meets Opportunity … The Highly Efficient Practice will be presented by Jack D. Griffin, Jr., DDS from 9 a.m. to noon on Thursday, Sept. 15. This course will focus on four critical areas to help make dental offices more efficient: the office, the staff, the schedule and the skill level of the doctor and staff.
- Cultural Competence will be presented by a panel of speakers and will take place from 3 to 5 p.m. Friday, Sept. 16. This course will focus on understanding and appropriately responding to unique cultural variables including age, physical ability, ethnicity, gender identity, linguistic background, race, religion and socio-economic status.
- Employment Compliance for Dentists: What You Don’t Know Could Hurt You will be presented by Adrienne Wright Twigg from 2 to 5 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 17. This course will focus on human resource management and compliance with federal and state regulations, and will discuss employee pay, benefits, leave of absence, pregnancy, hiring, termination and more.
- Everything You Need to Know to be a Top-Notch Temporary Dental Employee will be presented by Lisa Rager, CODA, EFDA, from 9 a.m. to noon Sunday, Sept. 18. This course will walk through the benefits and pitfalls of working as a “dental temp” and provide specific guidelines for each member of the dental team, including dentists, hygienists and dental assistants.
Annual Session also will feature several free CE opportunities for registered attendees, including:
- Oral Health Access Supervision Program
- The Faces of Addiction
- International Volunteer Dental Projects: What’s it all About Anyway?
- Cultural Competence
- Table Clinics
- OAP Panel
- Employment Compliance for Dentists: What you Don’t Know Could Hurt You
- Antibiotic Prophylaxis for Prosthetic Joint, Cardiac and Other Medical Conditions
The ODA Annual Session will also offer a wide variety of other courses, including hands-on courses, practice management courses, restorative courses, endodontics courses, periodontics courses and courses for all members of the dental team.
For more information on the courses being offered at this year’s Annual Session, click here.
Additionally, the Ohio Dental Political Action Committee (ODPAC) will host a New Dentist Reception for dentists in practice for 10 years or less. The reception will be at 9 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 15 at Denmark, a Euro-style cocktail bistro located right across the street from the main doors of the Columbus Convention Center. This event is free for new dentists and their spouses, but registration is required using code E91.
ODA Annual Session will also feature several other special events, including morning yoga classes and evening receptions. For more information on special events, click here.
For those looking to purchase equipment or supplies, ODA Annual Session will feature the largest Exhibit Hall in the area, with more than 200 vendors. Attendees can comparison shop right in one place, plus have the opportunity to test products and talk to experienced sales reps who can answer questions about products.
For more information about the ODA Annual Session and to register, click here.