Dental hygienists work with the dentist to help patients maintain good oral health. Dental hygienists receive excellent pay and flexible work hours, and it is ranked as one of the best jobs in America!
What does a dental hygienist do?
- Cleans patients’ teeth to remove calculus and plaque.
- Applies sealants and fluoride varnish to help prevent decay.
- Teaches patients about good oral hygiene.
- Administers local anesthetic.
- Takes patients’ health history.
- Takes x-rays of patients’ teeth.
What kind of training does a dental hygienist need?
Dental hygienists complete a two- or four-year degree. Dental hygienists can also complete additional studies for higher-level careers in dental hygiene, such as teaching, clinical practice or public health.
Click here for a list of accredited dental hygiene programs in Ohio.