ODA Annual Session provides ‘great education’
The 2019 ODA Annual Session – Connect, Learn, Excel – featured more than 70 CE courses, 200+ vendors and thousands of dental professionals, all in one convenient location.
More than 4,000 dental professionals attended the 2019 ODA Annual Session, including 1,123 dentists and 145 dental students.
ODA Annual Session featured many hands-on workshops, team building courses, front office courses and more.
“This was my first year attending ODA and I learned so much and can’t wait for ODA 2020,” wrote an attendee in the Annual Session survey. “Thanks for the great education!!”
One of the highlights of this year’s Annual Session was the Pankey Experience, where Pankey Institute faculty came to Columbus and presented 18 lectures and workshops.
“All Pankey presenters were very good. That was a good focus for this meeting,” wrote an attendee in the Annual Session survey.
ODA Annual Session also featured the Madow Brothers, who are known for their entertaining, spontaneous style and content-packed programs. They presented two courses and did a live podcast recording in the Exhibit Hall.
This year’s most popular courses included:
- “The Insider’s Guide to Dental Practice Success, Part One!” presented by Drs. Richard and David Madow.
- “The Pankey Experience: Occlusion in Everyday Dentistry” presented by Dr. Lee Ann Brady.
- “Oral Pathology for the Practitioner – A Refresher Course” presented by Dr. Deepak G. Krishnan.
- “Decision Making in Everyday Periodontics” presented by Dr. Stephen B. Towns.
- “The Pankey Experience: Change Your Thinking . . . Change Your Hygiene Appointment” presented by Sheri Kay.
- “The Insider’s Guide to Dental Practice Success, Part Two!” presented by Drs. Richard and David Madow.
- “Your Practice through the Patients Eyes, It’s Not Just About Dentistry” presented by Laci Phillips.
- “The Pankey Experience: Today’s Top Clinical Tips” presented by Dr. Lee Ann Brady.
- “Antibiotic Prophylaxis, Appropriate Antibiotic Use for Dental Infections and Antibiotic Stewardship” presented by Dr. Thomas M. Paumier.
The 2019 ODA Annual Session also featured an expansive Exhibit Hall with more than 230 booths, and attendees had the opportunity to test different products, ask questions and comparison shop.
“There is a wonderful selection of high quality courses, the Exhibit Hall is great, the location is great! I love to attend every year! The ODA is just the best, it is so valuable and the staff has been so good to me,” wrote an attendee in the Annual Session survey.
Callahan Celebration of Excellence
In conjunction with the ODA Annual Session, the Callahan Celebration of Excellence honoring outgoing ODA President Dr. Michael Halasz took place on Oct. 4. The celebration also recognized the 2019 Awards of Excellence winners.
The 2019 Awards of Excellence winners include:
- Callahan Memorial Award – The Late Ken Austin
- Joseph P. Crowley Distinguished Dentist Award – Dr. Walter Buchsieb
- Achievement Award – Peg Cissell
- Access to Dental Care Program Award – Medworks Inc.
- Marvin Fisk Humanitarian Award – Dr. Stephen Fabry
- N. Wayne Hiatt Rising Star Award – Dr. Alex Mellion
For more information about the award winners, visit www.oda.org or check the July, August and September issues of the “ODA Today.”
The ODA Leadership pin was awarded to Dr. Hal Jeter, a general dentist in South Point. Jeter has been active on councils and committees at all levels of the tripartite for many years. At the ODA, he has served as a member of the Subcouncil on New Dentists, Council on Dental Care Programs and Dental Practice, Ad Interim Committee, ADA Leadership Nomination Committee and Strategic Planning Committee. He has also served as chair of the Council on Access to Care and Public Service and Subcommittee on Judicial Affairs and as a member of the ODA House of Delegates. He has also served as a member of the ADA House of Delegates.
The ODA Leadership Pin recognizes members who demonstrate leadership in service to the ODA and their peers, a high level of volunteerism within the profession, and a commitment to organized dentistry. The ODA Executive Committee selects a recipient who is a positive influence in growth and development of the ODA – and who is a true role model for future leaders in organized dentistry.
Ohio Dental Political Action Committee (ODPAC) awards were also presented at the celebration, honoring the Medina County Dental Society for the highest percentage of membership for a small society, the Akron Dental Society for the highest percentage of membership for a large society and the Eastern Ohio Dental Society for “Deepest Pockets for Dentistry” (highest average contribution).
On Oct. 4, ODA Annual Session attendees had the opportunity to earn up to two hours of free CE by attending Table Clinics. The presentations covered a wide variety of topics, and a panel of judges rated each of them.
This year’s winners are:
- Best of show – Dr. Alexandra Fili
- Auxiliary – Luke Burroughs and Barbara Kunselman
- First Place Dental Resident – Drs. Morgan Palya and Lo-Shen Chen
- Second Place Dental Resident – Dr. Alexis Herring
- Dental Pre-Doctoral – Lindsey Jones
Save the date!
The 154th ODA Annual Session will be Sept. 24-27, 2020, at the Greater Columbus Convention Center. Visit www.oda.org/events for more information and to register.
Download your CE slips and course handouts
Obtain CE credit verification and download handouts for courses attended at the 2019 ODA Annual Session by visiting https://www.prereg.net/2019/oda/.
- To access CE certificates, click the “proceed to CE dashboard” button shown at the top of the screen.
- To access course handouts, links are posted on the account summary page, which is the first page shown after you log in.