Annual Session to offer free Oral Health Access Supervision Program course
In 2010, the Ohio General Assembly created the Oral Health Access Supervision Program (OHASP) designed to help increase access to a dental home for underserved populations. The OHASP allows dentists to send hygienists into certain designated locations like nursing homes, clinics and certain public schools under a new level of hygiene supervision. Both the supervising dentist and dental hygienist must apply for a permit from the Ohio State Dental Board (OSDB) in order to participate in the OHASP. To qualify for participation in the program, a hygienist must complete a course that meets OSDB criteria pertaining to the practice of dental hygiene under the oral health access supervision of a dentist.
As a continued reminder of the ODA’s commitment to providing care to Ohio’s underserved, as well as its commitment to the dental team, the ODA Annual Session will offer a course that meets those criteria on Thursday, Sept. 15. In order to aid in ensuring dental hygienists and dentists have easy access to the course, the ODA is offering its course free to ADA member dentists and staff registered for the 150th ODA Annual Session.
To qualify for the OHASP permit, a dental hygienist must provide evidence satisfactory to the OSDB that the dental hygienist has done all of the following:
- Completed at least two years and attained a minimum of 3,000 hours of experience in the practice of dental hygiene.
- Completed at least 24 hours of continuing dental hygiene education during the two years prior to submission of the application for the permit from the OSDB.
- Complete a course pertaining to the practice of dental hygiene under the oral health access supervision of a dentist, that meets standards established in rules adopted under section 4715.372 of the Revised Code.
- Completed, during the two years prior to the submission of the application, a course pertaining to the identification and prevention of potential medical emergencies that is the same as the course described in division (C) (2) of section 4715.22 of the Revised Code.
For more information on OHASP:
- Rule No. 4715-9-06 sets forth permissible practice guidelines for a dental hygienist who chooses to practice under a permit for the Oral Health Access Supervision Program (https://www.registerofohio.state.oh.us/pdfs/4715/0/9/4715-9-06_PH_FF_N_RU_20110314_1407.pdf).
- Rule No. 4715-9-06.1 outlines the course requirements for a dental hygienist who chooses to practice under a permit for the Oral Health Access Supervision Program (https://www.registerofohio.state.oh.us/pdfs/4715/0/9/4715-9-06$1_PH_FF_N_RU_20110314_1407.pdf).
Register for the course at www.oda.org/events.